of the House
William J. and Willie Newberry Lewis
William J. and Willie Newberry Lewis were the home’s original owners. Lewis came to Texas
from the East Coast at the age of fifteen. By age thirty he was a highly regarded cattleman and
owner of the large R. O. Ranch near Clarendon in the Texas Panhandle. In 1912 he married
Willie Newberry, a beautiful young Dallas debutante, and began making plans to build a grand
home for her.
Henry B. “Hal” Thomson was chosen as the architect for the Lewis’s home. Originally from
Austin, Thomson attended the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, where he earned a
master’s degree in architecture. In 1907 he returned to Texas to establish his own architecture
firm in Dallas.
While Mr. Lewis worked closely with Thomson on many of the home's details, Willie Lewis
played an active role in the design of the interiors of the home. She worked with architect Marion
Fooshee, Thomson’s partner at the time, in picking out features such as the Caen stone used for
the carved mantle in the living room, and also for the entry and exterior trim.
Despite her active involvement in the design of the house, Mrs. Lewis was not happy living in
the stately, formal home. She reportedly wanted something smaller and less grand. The couple
only lived in the home for approximately a year before selling the house and moving to nearby
The home quickly changed hands twice before being purchased by the Aldredge family in 1921.
George E. and Rena Aldredge
George E. and Rena Munger Aldredge and their four children moved into 5500 Swiss in 1921.
Mrs. Aldredge’s father, Stephen I. Munger, and uncle, Robert S. Munger, were the developers of
Munger Place, which was the first deed-restricted neighborhood in Texas. Stephen oversaw the
Improved Cotton Machine Manufacturing Company (later Continental Gin Company,) which
manufactured a new gin that revolutionized cotton ginning around the world. Robert oversaw the
development of Munger Place, the first deed restricted neighborhood in Texas.
George Aldredge was a successful businessman, serving as chair of the executive committee of
the First National Bank and as a director of Texaco. Mrs. Aldredge was very active in cultural
affairs. She was a life member of the board of trustees of the Dallas Museum of Art and a charter
member of the Founders Garden Club, an affiliate of the Garden Club of America.
In 1927 Mrs. Munger added an outdoor swimming pool, a rarity before World War II. (The pool
was later removed.) She also added two rooms to the House to accommodate her interests—an
art gallery/theater and a glass conservatory. The gallery gave her a place to display her large art
collection and to show the films that she made herself.
Mrs. Aldredge lived in the House until 1974, when she donated it to the Dallas County Medical
Society Alliance Foundation. Since receiving the house as a gift, DCMSAF has carefully restored and preserved the House as its home and shared it with other non-profits and members of the community. The House plays an integral role in the activities of the Swiss Avenue Historic District.